Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Catch-21 Review

Tonight was the premiere episode of GSN's Catch-21. Let me just say now that the show is lots of fun and a good way to spend a half-hour if you are not doing anything else. Now here are my thoughts on the show.

Right now host Alfonso Riberio is hosting this show as a plain Game Show Host. He is not doing a bad job at all, but he could do Much Better. Other than this, he is a fine host and could go a long way in the Game Show Biz.

The set is wonderful. It is about time a Game Show gets out of the Dark, gloomy sets, and into a set with color and lots of action. No complaints at all.

The Game Play is great. It's fast, fun, and engaging. At first I thought I would hate the whole "Passing" Option, but now I love it. This ensures that the game is not all about luck, but about strategy. Merrill Heater made a good decision with that. I think it would be cool if the contestant would be able to continue to play after freezing. It would be increase their chance of winning, and it would be pretty exciting to see.

My big complaint is the Bonus round. If you are an absolute unlucky person, you have no chance of winning the $25,000. But I really see no way of making this different. And looking around Game Show boards and other blogs, no one else knows either. So I guess they should keep it the same unless they think of some other way to make it a little easier.

So pretty much the Game is fun and engaging. It is not as great as shows like Lingo and Russian Roulette, but it is way better than some of the things GSN has come out with lately. I hope it does good for them, because they really need a hit Game Show.

No comments: